Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Egg and Prosciutto in Toast Cups


When I came across this recipe, I thought about how my dad used to make eggs in the microwave when I was little. He would crack an egg into a teacup, add a secret ingredient, stir it up and in a couple of minutes, we'd have fluffy scrambled eggs, which my 7-year-old self topped with ketchup. Thankfully, I've gotten a little more sophisticated, but something about an egg confined to a cup is still appealing. In this case, the container is edible too. I think these would be perfect for a brunch party or anytime you're craving an adorable, compact breakfast.

Egg and Prosciutto in Toast Cups
Recipe adapted from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
7 or 8 slices of white or whole-wheat bread
3 or 4 slices of prosciutto
6 large eggs
salt and ground pepper
parmesan cheese, freshly grated

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly butter 6 standard muffin cups. Flatten each bread slice with a rolling pin or round glass or press with your fingers. Make 7 or 8 circles approximately 4 inches wide with a cookie cutter. Cut each round in half, then press 2 halves into each muffin cup, overlapping slightly and making sure the bread comes up to edge of cup. Use extra bread rounds to patch any gaps. You don't want a hole in the bottom of your cup. Brush edges of bread with remaining butter. Tear prosciutto into narrow pieces and line the bread cup. Crack one egg over each. Season with salt and pepper. Bake until egg whites are just set and yolks are still runny, approximately 20 minutes. Run a small knife around cups to loosen toasts. Top with grated parmesan or the melty cheese of your choice and serve immediately.

12 comments:

  1. yum! this would be a fun meal for overnight guests... sometimes it's hard to make eggs in the morning and have them all ready at the same time... this takes care of that issue completely ;)

    cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good! Your photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so YUMMY!!!! =) Oh I wish I had this for breakfast today!!

    Ergo - Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw these on Pinterest! I'm restraining myself from making them because I know I won't be able to stop eating them... they look SO wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Genius! This looks so incredibly good! Pinning now. :) My husband loves all things eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I just got a new muffin tin for Christmas and I'm more excited about making little personal size savory dishes like this instead of cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM this is such a good idea. I would have to modify the prosciutto though... maybe spinach or cheese? or both? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too yummy!! I think I know what I will be having tomorrow morning!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm baking them now....good idea to have prosciutto on hand. It lasts for a long time in the fridge and you most likely have bread, eggs, butter......nice late night supper!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips