Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Pumpkin Hand Pies


I love pumpkin pie and will take it pretty much any way I can get it. This version gives you the same pumpkiny goodness with double the crust all in the palm of your hand. I think these would be great if you're serving a crowd or for kids. You can make your own pie crust or take the easy way out and spend your time doing other things like, I don't know, eating more pumpkin hand pies. I liked mine with a little cinnamon whipped cream on the side.

Pumpkin Hand Pies 
Recipe adapted from iVillage

2 boxes refrigerated pie crusts (4 crusts total)
1 15 oz. can of pumpkin puree
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon heavy cream

1 egg, beaten
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 F. With an electric mixer, combine pumpkin, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla and heavy cream. Set aside. Roll out one pie crust at a time on a floured surface. Gently stretch crust with hands until it is flat and even. With a 3 1/2 inch-wide cookie or biscuit cutter, cut out circles. Roll leftover dough together and flatten again to use all of it up. I got 9 circles out of each pie crust. Lay one pie crust circle on parchment lined baking sheet and top with 1 heaping tablespoon of pumpkin filling. Top with another circle and press them together with the tines of a fork. Make sure they're sealed or pie filling with seep out. Beat one egg and brush over dough. Combine cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle over pies. Use a toothpick or knife to create vents in the top of each pie. Bake for 20 minutes. Let cool or eat warm. Eat within a day or two as the crust tends to get softer over time. Makes 18 mini pies.

12 comments:

  1. You just made my morning. I need to make them asap! They look so delicious. Muah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh they look delicious !

    Love Chrissi xo

    www.christianaholt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look amazing!!! What a fun idea : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Pumpkin everything is wonderful and I adore having double the crust. Something about hand pies just make me smile, especially that little bit of sugar on top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s i just posted my pumpkin eclair recipe if you're looking for more pumpkin treats.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look delicious! And easy! I can't wait to try my hand at them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks A-MAZING. I love pumpkin pie and this is so much cuter! We may have found a new Thanksgiving dessert to try :) Thnanks for posting!

    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  8. please... this is adorable. i'd have a huge serving of whipped cream with mini pies on the side :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh that's just perfect & definitely on my list to try! yum :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, these look amazing - and all the more so with cinnamon whipped cream. :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips